A greenroof is simply a building with a cover of live plants as opposed to traditional roofing. Typically there is a waterproof membrane and then soil or other growing media. It may also be vegtative mats or modules linked together to form a living rooftop. There are many advantages to constructing a greenroof. These include:
- Reduction in both the heating and cooling needs for a building.
- Lessening the amount of stormwater runoff.
- Reduction of the urban 'heat island' effect.
- Filtration of air and water of pollutants.
- Adding new habitats for beneficial insects and birds.
- Increasing the lifespan of the roof.
- Use of the rooftop as an amenity to building occupants.